Aside from food, sleep plays a very important role to every human being. It is considered as a necessity individuals cannot live without as well as essential when it comes to the aspect of health. It is undeniable that sleep has catered numerous benefits such as energizing individuals after a very long tiring day and a great way of relaxing both mind and body.
However, not all people are experiencing good night sleep for some of them are having sleeping troubles. Though this is seen to be a normal thing to happen basically brought by different factors including stress still, once this has occurred in a regular basis, well this is already a new whole story to problem about.
Learning more about Sleep Disorders
Sleep is being seen as a good determinant of a person’s overall health. It is keeping both emotional and physical well- being healthy. In most cases, healthy people are having more good sleep compared to those who are experiencing sleeping problems and are probably suffering from any mental or medical health problem.
Some of the sleeping problems or disorders you might encounter are the following:
- Insomnia- the inability of getting the right amount of sleep. It can result from stress, depression, anxiety and medical health condition.
- Sleep apnea- a disorder in which the breathing of the person stops at certain point during sleeping.
- RLS or restless legs syndrome- an irresistible urging movement of the legs and even arms. It is commonly uncomfortable, aching and tingly.
- Narcolepsy- this is involving uncontrollable excessive daytime sleepiness even the person in the state of working, talking and driving.
Lack of sleep can affect the person’s energy, mood, efficiency and their ability of handling stress. Furthermore, if people will be ignoring this problem and will not take an action solving it, then greater consequences might come your way. This can contribute to accidents, poor health and job performance as well as relationship stress. And if you don’t want this to happen to you, then have proper sleep rather than doing senseless things.
Ways for Better Sleeping Habit
There are ways on how to make your sleeping habit better. You can do this through the following:
- Tracking your sleep patterns,
- Changing some of your specific daytime habits as well as in your bedtime routine.
- Furthermore, to enhance more of it, there is a need to avoid vices including drinking alcoholic beverages and smoking. Losing excess weight is also important as well as having regular workout keeping the body fitter.
- Have a nutritious diet everyday by eating fruits and green leafy vegetables.
For some people, the abovementioned suggestions have helped them but for if you really don’t think that these will not help you at all, you might as well seek the advice of a specialist who is trained and has the specialization for sleep medicine. They will help you in determining the causes of the sleeping problem you are encountering and finding the best ways of improving your sleeping quality.
Importance of Sleep Study
If a certain person is not sure whether they are really under a certain sleeping problem or disorder, conducting a sleep study should take place.
This specific study is measuring the person’s quality of sleeping and how their bodies respond to certain sleeping problems helping the doctor determine whether you have acquired a sleeping disorder as well as the severity level of it. The study is said to be very important for it is a great way of lowering the risks brought by medical conditions such as heart disease, stroke and high blood pressure. It also decreases the risks of having injures from car accidents and falling.
Benefits of Integrating Sleep Aids
In helping people who are suffering from sleeping problems or disorders, there are sleep aids individuals can use that might give you the best solution. Though there are some of these which are not that highly effective, still people prefer this for alternative purposes. Learn more about it here.
There are specific medicines that can help improve sleeping habits and can be purchased over the counter in local pharmacies. Aside from these, there are also natural aids that could be more beneficial of course depending on the usage of an individual. These include the following:
- Diphenhydramine. This is a type of sedating antihistamine having the side effects of daytime drowsiness.
- Doxylamine. A type also of sedating antihistamine that also carries the side effect of daytime drowsiness.
- Valerian. It is a kind of a supplement that is basically used for father falling asleep and also promoting better sleeping habits.
- Chamomile. It is a kind of herbal remedy used during the ancient times in fighting insomnia as well as other medical conditions. It can be in different forms such as in extract, tea, ointment form.
- Melatonin. This is a kind of hormone that is primarily produced in the brain’s pineal gland. There are studies showing that melatonin is effective in reducing disorders of circadian rhythm including jetlag.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or CBT
One of the natural aids that could be used for sleeping problems is the Cognitive behavioral Therapy or the CBT. It comprises of different therapies that will be modifying both behavior and thought patterns. The CBT also include eight different techniques including: sleeping restrictions, relaxation techniques, cognitive therapy, stimulus control, sleeping hygiene and biofeedback. The therapy has shown effective ways of fighting against insomnia and other sleeping issues.
The usage of these aids for sleeping can be beneficial and can help to have better sleeping habit. However, before taking in some of them, seeking the advice from a doctor or medical practitioner is important most especially if you are suffering from other health conditions aside from experiencing sleeping problems or disorders.
The Bottom Line
Now that you know some of the important things about the aspect of sleeping disorders or problems, you have come to a realization how essential it is to keep the body healthy through integrating properly the aspect of sleeping.
The bottom line of this, if you are experiencing either of the problems mentioned, don’t hesitate to ask doctors or professional medical practitioners for you to prevent it from worsening and lead to a life- time consequence in which you will regret.